M203 and M203A1 Grenade Launcher
Deter and, if necessary, compel adversaries by enabling individuals and small units to engage targets with accurate, lethal, grenade fire.
Description and Specifications
The M203 grenade launcher is a single-shot weapon designed for use with the M16 series rifle and fires a 40mm grenade. The M203A1 grenade launcher is a single-shot weapon designed for use with the M4 series carbine and also fires a 40mm grenade. Both have a leaf sight and quadrant site. The M203 is also being used as the delivery system for a growing array of less-than-lethal munitions.
- Weight: 3 lbs (empty); 3.6 lbs (loaded)
- Overall Length: 15"
- Barrel Length: 12"
- Ammunition Type: CN/CS/OC tear gas rounds, smoke, non-lethal projectiles, signal and practice rounds as well as standard 40mm rounds
- Effective Range: Approximately 350 yards
- Entered Army Service: Early 1970s
- Manufacturer: Colt Manufacturing