Computer Hacking- Skill used to crack into major computer systems. Characters with this skill also understand how computer systems share information either locally or from a distance. The know-how of the usage of a modem is also gained. Computer operation skill required. 5% bonus added to hacking skill for every programming skill obtained.
Computer Operation -The ability to use a computer system and the knowledge of how a computer system works. Understanding the limitation of a computer. GM and/or player may wish to specify type/brands of computer.
Computer Programming- This skill allows the character to understand how computer follows instructions, and the way it runs. Also how to instruct the computer to execute commands. Computer operation skill required. Choose from the following list:
- Ada is a language developed by the U.S. Department of Defense. With all the different computer and software that the department owned, most of the software was incompatible. To make it worse, each of the software was written in a different language, making it too hard to port it to another computer. Thus, the department developed its own language that would also be capable of all of its unique needs: missile launch and tracking, satellites, weapons research, and others.
- Assembler is the closest language to machine language. It allows powerful flexibility with the assigned words found in structured languages. Though codes tend to be long and more complicated.
- BASIC is a language originally produced to introduce students to programming with its easy to understand structure. Though programs produced isn't very efficient or practical and powerful programs are hard to produce. Tracing the program is tedious job with all the goto statements. BASIC is probably one of the most popular language in existence. The recent introducing of structured BASIC have shifted many beginners into programming powerful applications with its Pascal-like structures.
- C is the language of the choice of programmers. With it complex structure, codes are efficient and practical. Almost as flexible as Assembler, programmers could produce powerful applications with seldom the need of Assembler.
- COBOL is the language available in the business world with its simple mathematical codes. It allows creation of business calculation programs with minimum amount of codes.
- Fortran is probably the oldest language in existence. It was one of the most powerful yet simple to program language, until C took its place.
- Machine Language is the computer's native language. Programming in it is hectic since all codes are in hex number notation. Though nothing could be compared with machine language in flexibility.
- Modular-2 is newest version of Pascal, released recently, which suppose to combine the power and the flexibility of C and the simple to program structure of Pascal into one.
- Pascal is probably the next most popular language to BASIC and C. With simple to program statements and the power to program many useful applications, it is one of the best language to use. It was originally intended for students to move from BASIC into a structure language.
Note that the languages listed here are common ones available currently. Variant of each also exists and new languages are constantly developing with time.
Object Oriented Programming (OOP)- The understanding of Object Oriented Programming for any language. Must have at least one programming skill. Also add 5% to all the programming skills the character has.
Program Debugging- The ability to test and find out what is wrong with a program if it is not working. Add 5% to all programming skill. Programming skill(s) required.